-What? You've never heard of Panaca? Seriously? Ok, well it's not a thriving metropolis and I do have some negative memories of the place but also some great ones. Let's start with the negative so we can end on a good note.
So we usually visited Panaca on memorial day. We would travel in the big white van so that Lane and his siblings could work on the graveyard. I know, I know, sounds riveting. Well it's pretty hot in Panaca and hanging out at a graveyard all day when you are a kid isn't the funnest.
So usually after a scorching day in the sun working in the graveyard, we would travel to "The Swimming Hole". Sounds refreshing right? Well, let's just say BUGS everywhere, and moss everywhere. We used to have moss fights. I'm not sure who started this but I'm sure it was a result of sheer boredom. Anyways, one time my sister threw moss at me unexpectedly and it landed in my mouth. Yes, my mouth. I am still traumatized to this day. Moral of the story; Keep your mouth closed when swimming in a moss infested hole -especially if LORI is your sister.
Ok, so time for the good stuff. There is a National Park called "Cathedral Gorge" in Panaca. The park consists of caves carved naturally from erosion. They aren't like traditional caves you would think of as you can see by the pictures. We LOVED exploring these caves. Some of them you could barely squeeze into and then they would open up to a large room. Needless to say it was a blast as a kid.
We wanted our kids to have some of those same memories we had, so we traveled to Panaca for the day and explored the caves with our little ones. We were met with even more excitement. Uncle Joe decided to climb this rope to see where it went and ended missing for a little while. He came back exhausted and made sure we all knew NOT to climb the rope and that he had almost gotten himself stranded. Then later on my niece Autumn found a Geo-caching prize without clues or a navigation. Now that's some ESP.
All in all we had a great time at the "Moon Caves". Make sure that if you are ever in Panaca Nevada you check them out!
Riley looking like a Stud...yes ladies, he's available.

1 comment:
Jodi, you're a great writer. I love your descriptions!
Post a Comment